Monday, June 08, 2009

When Poetry Leads to Poetry: New Stalgica Launches Dalhousie Blues Tonight

Tonight the Newstalgica Reading Series at Café Nostalgica will be hosting the launch of a new book entitled Dalhousie Blues. It’s a stunning and compelling poetry collection published by a collective of unique voices --Jamie Bradley, Caleb Brassett, Christine McNair and Sean Moreland and skilfully designed by Christine McNair with artwork by local artists. I’m particularly excited and happy about the existence of this book for a number of reasons, the most important of which is that all of these authors have been published by Bywords and by my small press, AngelHousePress.

I’m not suggesting that Bywords is the instigator of the collaboration, but I have to say that this is the main reason that Bywords exists and also the main reason why I launched AngelHousePress: to help and to promote talented emerging writers on their path and to act as an impetus for more poetry. Bywords is not the only local press or organization that encourages and supports an active writers community. There is rob mclennan, of course, the dynamo promoter of the small press world. There are the fantastic reading series, other local journals and creative writing workshops, the Ottawa Writers Festival and more. The point is that when you have a good and strong active literary community, creativity and collaboration will ensue.

Since this is my main mandate with Bywords, I can’t help but feel a sense of satisfaction when our published authors spread their wings and fly. I would say all this tonight at the reading itself, but I’ll be too choked up. I do plan on drinking copious toasts to these talented and enterprising writers. These are brilliant young writers and I hold them in the highest esteem. I urge you to come to the launch and buy at least one copy of this excellent book.

Bywords may have books available through our on line store if the books haven't sold out yet.

Monday, June 8, 2009, 8pm
Cafe Nostalgica, 603 Cumberland St.
Open Mic followed by featured readers with music by Tia Akhse

No comments: